18/02/2016

Confessions of a Robot Fanboy


Robot Wars has been off screens for some time now, so I had to find salvation for a time elsewhere.


With the news of BattleBots being bought back from the rust in the summer of 2015 I wasn't really that bothered knowing the formula of the show from the past incarnation.


I watched the battles and skipped all the reality stuff they force upon the viewers, the problem with BattleBots is that there is more talking and only like 4 battles within 45 minus (adverts 15 mins) with Robot Wars you could fit 7 battles and a mini tournament like Sumo-Basho or Pinball all within that time limit and it was great.


So it was with some relief to see old Robot Wars favourites, Team Razer get into the action with their robot "Warhead".
Sadly (spoilers) it was beaten twice in the series by "Stinger" and the Battlebots Champion "Biteforce".



After that 2015 past me by, there wasn't any more robot related shows to divulge in, then it happened, on the 13th of February I was browsing through Facebook and to my complete surprise an announcement was made Robot Wars would be returning this year, the big metal shiny guy in the sky had answered my prayers.

I was so surprised by this move by the BBC that I thought such a thing would have been possible due to the many failed petitions and the lack of any other similar shows in the UK.


This had sparked my interest in the show again and was bringing back childhood memories I was a fan reborn and decided to join the Official group page.


Unable to contain my excitement I decided to re-watch all the old battles, which I hadn't seen for years it was great having that nostalgic feeling return as well as not remembering exactly who was going to win (although I did have an idea :P).


There is still much to be confirmed about the show but I do have an idea what to expect the original House Robots are set to return, there's a brand new arena (bullet proof no less) and a new host and new pit reporter it's all looking like the old series will never be the same again, though a new and improved show is definitely well overdue.


Very little is known about what teams we can expect to see competing though a few hints and suggestions have been rumoured there's a bit of secrecy about exactly what the new show will be like, which is equally exciting and frustrating for us fans.


All in all, it's a great time to be a Robot Wars fan again and I can't wait for the new show to begin...Roboteers, Ready...!





No comments:

Post a Comment